Mission Of The Organization
The World Affairs Council of Greater Reading is the leading educational organization promoting understanding and enlightenment on global issues.
Our Mission is:
To Connect People. To Engage Minds. To Expand Thinking.
We believe engagement promotes understanding and that students are our future and we can make a positive impact on them. It is our sincere belief that there is inherent value in civil, contemplative discussion.
Description Of The Organization
- Sponsors monthly luncheons and/or breakfasts
- Sponsors a monthly world affairs Book Club discussion
- Sponsors local World Quest competition
- Sponsors an annual day excursion with a fine dining lunch at a renowned international affairs institution.
- Promotes and subsidizes local high school students at the luncheons
History Of The Organization
The World Affairs Council of Greater Reading was founded in the late 1960’s as the Foreign Policy Group. Originally meetings were held in members’ homes and later at various Universities/Colleges. Since then it has grown in membership as well as breadth of its offerings. Each year approximately 2,000 members, students and friends take part in one or more of the functions available. WAC of Greater Reading has been affiliated with the World Affairs Councils of America since 1967.
- Ambassador $275 (includes all luncheons and a reduction in fee for the annual bus excursion)
- Family $75 (allows member rate for each family member for luncheons and other events)
- Individual $50 (allows member rate for luncheons and other events for one person)
Note: Anyone attending the luncheon and not eating is only charged $10.00 for program attendance. The standard nonmember rate for luncheons is $30 and the member rate is $23. The student rate for luncheons is $10.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is your organization partisan?
How can I become a member or renew my membership?
That’s easy. To join the World Affairs Council of Greater Reading email email@example.com or call us at 610-375-7880.
When does my membership become effective?
When does my membership expire?
Are there different types of membership?
What is the member/non-member cost for events?
The student rate for lunch is discounted to $10 as we believe students are our future and we can have a positive impact
Please look at the Get Involved tab for more information.
Is my membership tax deductible?
How is your organization funded?
How can I help the World Affairs Council?
What programs does The World Affairs Council of Reading do?
We also hold breakfast discussions on world issues usually with a local community expert.
In addition to this we sponsor:
- Great Decisions, America’s largest discussion program on world affairs
- World Quest, a flagship youth educational program of the national network of World Affairs Council that all local high schools can participate
- A monthly discussion on world events on BCTV
- Many other great programs